School zone signs are flashing, commutes are taking longer, and the yellow buses are hitting the road. It is hard not to notice that school will soon be back in session, if it hasn’t already started. You’ve probably received flyers in the mail promoting the latest back to school sales on clothes and office supplies. If you are wondering how to bring these back to school promotions into your restaurant we have some ideas for you; thoughts on how to reach out not only to students but parents and teachers as well.
Getting the Family Involved
Back to school is a busy time for most families; they are getting back into the swing of things and creating their routine for the year. Why not make your restaurant part of that weekly routine? By offering families a quick take out meal option, you can cut out the stress of dining-in for families with younger children. This small step makes your restaurant an option for families on those busy days of running from school, to activities and trying to cram dinner somewhere in-between.
Another promotional idea that helps get the whole family into your establishment is running an “apps for backpacks” special. Families receive a free or discounted appetizer when they bring in a receipt proving the purchase of school supplies. Not only does this show your customers that you support education but encourages patrons to order an appetizer they might not have previously considered. Who knows maybe it will become a new family favorite they simply can’t pass up, even after the special has ended.
We have compiled a list of things that you can do to reach parents, students, and teachers, the main groups that hold the keys to increasing your business during back to school season.
1.When thinking of back to school promotions it is important to focus on parents. One way to reach out to parents is by offering Parent’s Day Out lunch specials. Market it as being able to enjoy quiet time away from the hustle and bustle of family life.
2. Additionally, a great way to market to parents is with buy one get one parent meals. Perfect for any date night, this deal will encourage parents to call up their baby-sitter and spend a night out taking advantage of your restaurant’s back to school promotion.
3. Back to school season involves a lot of shopping but it also involves quite a few meetings. A good way to keep your business on parent’s radar is by sponsoring some of the back to school meeting. You can have a coupon or promotional flyer be part of their welcome packet or offer to cater in exchange for some ad space in the schools yearbook or other bulletins.
4. Once school is in full swing, if you have the space, consider setting up a student super star area. A section of your restaurant decorated specifically for patrons to take pictures of their star student. You might even want to have a signature hashtag that parents can use when bragging about their superstar on social media. This would be a great way to have customers promoting your business by word of mouth.
1. A great way to get your promotions to students is by utilizing social media. Social media is one of the
tops ways to market to millennials. Pictures of food are one of the most searched for subjects in social media, so go ahead and take a nicely arranged snapshot of your weekly special and post it. The best part is that it is free unless you make the decision to boost your posts for a few extra dollars.
2. Another way to reach students is by offering coupons to students with perfect attendance. Many schools give out certificates each semester to students who haven’t missed a day. So why not get them in the door with a perfect attendance promotion. Consider offering half off of dessert with validation. Restaurants like Noodles & Company and Red Robin are already getting students in their doors by offering free meals for those students with perfect attendance.
3. An often forgotten about group of marketing to students is college students. Yes some students have meal plans but that doesn’t mean they don’t get tired of the food, or are looking to treat themselves every now and then. And a large percentage of college students live off campus and don’t have a meal plan. A great way to reach these students is by offering lunch combos. Perfect for grabbing between classes this special will garner the attention of any test stressed college student.
1. Are you concerned with how to get your name out to college students? Consider sponsoring orientation. You can provide food or simply provide cups with your logo on it. Good for one free refill. Sounds simple enough but students will keep those cups long after the free refill and be reminded of your restaurant every time they use it. Make sure that the cup is branded and decent quality. You wouldn’t want your logo to wash off in the dishwasher.
2. If you are still concerned about getting your name out there to students there is always the old standby. Flyers with coupons. It is a tried and true method. 96% of students would be more likely to make a repeat purchase from a brand that offers student discounts. A lot of times college students are trying to stick to a budget and offering them a coupon or student discount increases chances of them picking up the phone or walking through your door.
3. Do you have a design major as part of your staff? Why not utilize their skills to create a snapchat geofilter. For a few dollars you can create a fun filter just for your building. Students using the app, about 100 million people use it every month, will see your filter and possibly use it when sending pictures to their friends. It is a great way to get the word out about your business or any promotions you are running. Taco Bell was one of the first restaurants to jump on the Snapchat ban wagon and have been benefiting ever since.
1. Who can forget about teachers! Back to school is an exciting yet hectic time for them as well. Consider having some promotions geared directly for them, like a free dessert with a valid teacher I.D. Most schools require teachers to have badges, simply ask them to show it and voila a free dessert. Pizza Hut offers 10-20% off your order with a valid teacher I.D.
3. Before students return to school, teachers often have to spend a few days preparing for their arrival. Why not cater a lunch for them? That way next time they are too busy to pack a lunch they will remember your delicious food and give your restaurant a call.
Back to school is a big time of year for not only students, but parents and teachers as well, making it a great opportunity for your business to reach out to the community at large. By reaching out to these three groups through different promotions and marketing techniques, you have the potential to greatly increase sales. Ultimately, you know your business best. Choose a promotion works for you and run with it. Whether it is free apps for teachers or sponsoring a school event, don’t miss out this back to school season.